An Apple a Day - Will it Keep the Dentist Away?
Most of us are familiar with the three golden rules you’ll learn from your family dentist.
- Brush your teeth after every meal
- Floss daily to prevent gum disease
- Schedule a checkup twice a year with your family or pediatric dentist
We teach our children proper oral hygiene as early as possible because we know that our smile is one of our most valuable assets. We know to avoid letting sugary and starchy foods linger on our teeth for fear of breeding decay and gum disease that can lead to bone loss.
You’ve heard an apple a day keeps the doctor away, what about the dentist? Have you ever thought that the very foods we eat with our pearly whites contribute to their care and strength? Incorporating some common foods into your diet, along with following your dentist’s three golden rules might be what helps you from winding up needing emergency dental care in Cincinnati.
- Black or Green Tea (preferably unsweetened) – These teas contain polyphenols that may slow the growth of bacteria in the mouth. Bacteria are the primary culprit for plaque buildup that leads to cavities.
- Crunchy Foods – Sorry, not Cheetos. Apples, carrots, and even cucumbers may break up the bacteria on your teeth as you eat.
- Berries – Cranberries, blueberries, and raspberries have the same polyphenols found in tea and may berry well prevent the buildup of plaque on your teeth.
- Almonds, Cheese and Leafy Greens – all of these calcium dense foods can lead to strong bone health, including your teeth.
Why not challenge yourself to incorporate a few new foods into your daily routine to help you develop your brilliant, healthy, winning smile? You take care of the basics and let our specialized team at Philip Younts, DDS take care of the rest. Call us today at 513-481-7766 to schedule your free consultation!